Random thoughts: Simple pleasures
This entry was posted on Sunday, February 26th, 2012 by Frances Ryan.
Tags: silly, shopping, running, reading, random, pretty things, nature, music, lists, holidays, happy, handbags, friends, food, family, entertainment, drink, budget, arts & crafts
Random thoughts—Week 3: List 31 simple pleasures; pick one and write about it.
Last year I was challenged to write a list of 30 things that made me smile and I imagine that this list may include a few duplicates, but I will try to keep those to a minimum.
- Finding coins as I’m walking down the road
- Unexpected postcards (heck, even expected postcards!)
- Lunch with friends
- Internet chats and phone calls with my nieces and nephews
- Dirty Martinis
- Seeing children skipping down the road
- Skipping down the road (yes, even as a full-grown woman, I do that sometimes!)
- Hearing a favourite song on the radio
- Watching a favourite movie on television
- Long soaks in a hot bath
- Finding my favourite [whatever] on sale
- Smells that rekindle a happy memory
- A well-cooked steak (that would be medium-rare, thank you!)
- Riding on carousels
- Playing on swing sets
- The feeling of the sun on my face
- Flirtatious encounters with cute boys (even when I know I’ll never see them again)
- A quiet night in with some jazz, red wine, candle light, and a good book
- Sleeping in on a Saturday morning after a long week at work (or school)
- Finding a ‘new’ vintage handbag that I love—and can afford!
- Watching (and listening to) a massive rain storm—complete with thunder and lightning
- Seeing my friends happy and giddy with excitement
- Waking up dreading going to work, only to realise it’s the weekend
- Walking barefoot in the grass or on a sandy beach
- Gravy style popcorn
- Picnics in the park
- Finishing a craft project
- Weekend city breaks to fantastic places
- Finding an out-of-the-way pub that sells great beer—but that no one knows about!
- Hugs and kisses from family and friends
Now, I know that I’m meant to write about just one of these things, but it would seem that I had a fantastic opportunity to combine a few in one. So, here’s a wee story about something that happened when I was in Cambridge this weekend:
I woke up early to go for a run on Saturday (No 13). And after the run, I had a bit of time to waste waiting for my running partner (who’d gone off for a longer trek!). So, as I waited, I found myself (literally) skipping (No 7) over to the playground where I plopped myself down on a swing (No 16). And as I swung, I noticed some shiny things on the ground below. Sure enough, those shiny things were coins—33 pence worth of them (No 1)!
Of course, the weekend also included Nos: 3, 12, 17, 23, 29, 30, and 31. And loads of other simple pleasures that didn’t make the list.